To be eligible to submit a FreeApp form, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Have completed a bachelor's degree by the August preceding enrollment in the graduate program
- Seeking admission to a Ph.D. program or a terminal Master of Fine Arts (MFA) program
- Be a citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S.
- Have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (4.0 scale)
- Intend to pursue an academic and/or research career
FreeApp is a collaborative program for students traditionally underrepresented in graduate education, including racial and ethnic minorities, women in STEM, first-generation college students, and individuals who have faced adversity, such as societal, economic, or academic disadvantages. FreeApp requests are processed throughout the year, but note that the University of Minnesota has an early December deadline.
The criteria listed above are the minimum requirements for consideration. The FreeApp waiver program is very competitive, and a limited number of waivers are available. FreeApp waivers are granted by each university according to their local criteria and on a case-by-case basis. Each university determines the definition of underrepresented and whether to award a fee waiver is wholly within the discretion of each university.